Wednesday, 15 April 2009

Changes made to child protection

Sweeping changes are to be made to the way vulnerable children are protected after a toddler was murdered by his father.
Leon McIntyre, two, was smothered by his paranoid father, Andrew, who then tried to kill himself.
Today, distraught mum Marie Tuckey spoke publicly for the first time about the tragic death of her son and said she felt she was not given enough support to deal with her violent ex.
An independent review into the tragedy has found no-one could have predicted McIntyre would harm his own son.
But the report recommended changes to the way staff deal with cases involving people in violent relationships especially those with children.
Ms Tuckey said her ex-partner's violent rages against her which she reported to care workers should have rung alarm bells.
Ms Tuckey, 35, said: "These people may think they have dealt with Leon's death, but that is not how I see it.
"They are on your back when you don't need them and when you do they are nowhere to be seen.
"I contacted the authorities at least 20 times about Andrew's abuse towards me, but I was told I had to sort it, to get rid of him. I didn't get the support I needed."
Last year, McIntyre pleaded guilty to killing Leon on October 5, 2007, in Thornholme Close, Beaumont Leys, Leicester, and was sentenced to serve at least 16 years in prison.

No comments: