Saturday 21 March 2009

Social worker asked to return at 82

Full Article: http://www.stopinjusticenow.com/news/archive/2009/march/20/02.htm


A RETIRED social worker was sent a letter asking her to return to the profession – even though she is 82.
Barbara MacArthur quit her job in 1982 and has spent the past 27 years caring for her 54-year-old autistic son Howard.
But she was stunned to receive a letter offering her up to £50 an hour to return to social work.
Divorced Mrs MacArthur, of Cathays, Cardiff, said: “I knew they were desperate for social workers, but I didn’t think they were this desperate!”
The letter, from Hertfordshire-based Evergood Associates, asks for Mrs MacArthur’s “current availability and future career plan”.
It adds: “We look forward to receiving your completed form with CV if applicable at your earliest convenience.”
The former policewoman previously worked for the Citizens’ Advice Bureau before becoming a social worker in 1960.
She said: “I’ve always wanted to help people and, even when I was a policewoman, I found myself feeling sorry for the people I was supposed to be arresting.

No comments: