Friday, 8 May 2009

Care cases up after Baby P trial (BBC News)

Watch The News Broadcast At This Artice:
The number of applications to take children into care in England has risen sharply, which experts say may be linked to the Baby P abuse case.
Figures for March were the highest ever recorded by Cafcass, a public body which represents the interests of children in Family Courts.
There were 739 applications, compared with 496 in the month before the case.
Barnardo's chief executive Martin Narey said such decisions were "hideously difficult" but the news was welcome.
It is not unusual for the number of care applications to rise after a high-profile case of child abuse, but the rate of increase following the case of Baby P - whose first name, Peter, was later made public - has been "unprecedented", said the BBC's Daniel Boettcher.
Prior to the publicity surrounding the case, care applications had been falling, but Cafcass said overall figures for 2008/09 - 6,465 cases - were in fact "broadly comparable" with previous years.
Baby P died aged 17 months in 2007, having suffered more than 50 injuries and despite being seen by the authorities on at least 60 occasions.
He was on the child protection list at Haringey Council, north London. A Serious Case Review found his death could and should have been prevented.
In November Jason Owen, 36, from Bromley, and the 32-year-old boyfriend of Baby Peter's mother were found guilty of causing his death.
The boy's mother had pleaded guilty to the same charge. All three will be sentenced later this month.

No comments: