Wednesday 27 February 2008

Haut de la Garenne - Your experiences (BBC News)

Watch The News Broadcast At The End Of The Story!

Police in Jersey are continuing their search at the children's home Haut de la Garenne, where a child's remains were found.
Here, two BBC News website readers reflect on their experiences of the home.
Both wish to remain anonymous. The first had a couple of brief stays in Haut de la Garenne when he lived in Jersey in the seventies. He now lives abroad. The second website reader used to visit the children's home regularly, and witnessed the cruelty and abuse of the children who were sent there. Here are their stories:


ANONYMOUS


There were two dreadful places for me - school and home. I spent two brief periods at Haut de la Garenne, and thought it was going to be a relief for me. But it wasn't.
It felt unsafe. At Haut de la Garenne, physical abuse was a regular occurrence. It was common currency to be hit about the head.
School was the same - corporal punishment was the routine for those who, like myself, were not 'compliant' or willingly following rigid rules.
For myself, there was no-one or nowhere to go to, and it seemed that the entire adult population were doing all that they could to beat me down, physically, mentally and emotionally.
Jersey is an island - there is nowhere to run to, and I ran away several times, but the reality was there was nowhere to go. There was no escape.
ALL the institutions failed me. The school, which should have been a sanctuary from home, was a place I dreaded to go.

Watch The BBC Broadcast:

Full Article: http://www.stopinjusticenow.com/News_0720.htm

BBC News Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/7267267.stm

YouTube Broadcast:

No comments: