Friday, 14 November 2008

Father of Baby P speaks of loss (BBC NEWS)

Watch The News Broadcast At The End Of The Article:

Baby P's natural father has called him a "bouncing" and affectionate boy, while describing his devastation at losing a son he loved deeply.
Baby P died in August 2007 after having suffered sustained abuse.
His father, who cannot be named, condemned the boy's mother and the two men convicted over the death.
He said: "Those who systematically tortured P... kept it a secret, not just from me, but from all the people who visited the house."
"Even after he died, they lied to cover up their abuse."
The three people convicted of involvement in the death have been warned they face "substantial" terms in prison.
Old Bailey Judge Stephen Kramer told the child's mother, 27, her 32-year-old boyfriend, and Jason Owen, 36, that they should not be fooled into thinking otherwise because he had ordered pre-sentence reports.
They will be sentenced on 15 December.
Baby P's father issued a statement through his lawyer - Chris Yiannakas - which said: "P was a bouncing 17-month-old boy. I loved him deeply. I remember how he used to run up to me... or when he was in his pram he would bounce up and down until I took him out, giving me hugs and kisses."
The father said the "verdicts will help to bring closure for what has been a very traumatic time for me, P's family and indeed all those who knew and were close to him".
He also paid tribute to the police for the part they played in bringing the case to court.
He added: "I would also like to thank the social workers who have been involved since P's death. They have acted with professionalism and courtesy.
"Finally, I wish to thank my family and friends who have given me comfort and support during this traumatic time."
'Outraged and shocked'
Meanwhile, Gordon Brown vowed he would do "everything in my power" to prevent a repeat of the tragedy.
Speaking on a trip to New York, the prime minister added: "I am absolutely sure that, like me, every parent in the country is outraged and shocked by what has happened and angered about what happened to that infant."
His comments came as it emerged a whistleblower wrote to ministers and inspectors six months before Baby P's death to raise concerns about Haringey's child protection services.
Former social worker Nevres Kemal, through her lawyer, claimed the north London authority had failed to act on unrelated allegations of child sexual abuse.
Ms Kemal's lawyer, Lawrence Davies, said her complaint was "pushed from pillar to post" and suggested Baby P's death might have been avoided if it had been acted on.
The claims were investigated by the Commission for Social Care before its responsibility in the area was passed to Ofsted.
The Conservatives accused the government of "bureaucratic buck-passing" and called for a detailed account of how the whistleblower's letter was dealt with.
Tory leader David Cameron urged the government to publish the letter as he described it as a tragic case of a baby falling through the cracks of a bureaucratic system.
He said: "If letters are sent with both Haringey and children in the same sentence, then that should have been a real wake up call.
"It seems that what may have happened is that bureaucratic changes in how inspections are carried out didn't help.
"And it also seems that everyone is saying that procedures were followed rather than actually asking who was responsible and why didn't they act."
It has also emerged that a senior Haringey councillor claimed just days after Baby P's death that the authority had raised its game significantly since Victoria Climbie's murder.
Liz Santry, the council's cabinet member for children and young people, emailed fellow councillors on 13 August 2007 to criticise the media for linking the Baby P case with the earlier scandal.
If Your an Adult or Child and Have Problems with Social Services, Please Visit

No comments: